History of the Inn
Danville was the last capital of the Confederate States of America between April 3, 1865 and April 10, 1865. Jefferson Davis met with members of his cabinet and penned his last official proclamation as President of the Confederacy in the Danville home of Major William T. Sutherlin (which is now the Danville Museum of Fine Arts and History). During this brief period, Danville was also the capital of Virginia.
The wreck of the Old 97 occurred in Danville on September 27, 1903, resulting in the deaths of nine people. This event was the inspiration for the song of the same name. A mural of the train is painted on a downtown Danville building in memory of the historic wreck.
Danville was home to both Nancy Langhorne, Viscountess Astor, the first woman to serve in the British House of Commons, and Irene Langhorne Gibson, the inspiration for “the Gibson girl.”
The establishment by the General Assembly of a tobacco warehouse at Wynne’s Falls in 1793 was the beginning of “The World’s Best Tobacco Market,” Virginia’s largest market for bright leaf tobacco.
The village was renamed Danville by act of the Virginia Legislature on November 23, 1793. A charter for the town was drawn up February 17, 1830, but by the time of its issue, the population had exceeded the pre-arranged boundaries.
This necessitated a new charter, which was issued in 1833. In that year, James Lanier was elected the first mayor, assisted by a council of “twelve fit and able men.”